Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Prologue


PROLOGUE

... And so it begins ...

My last dog's name was Millie.  She was a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and I lost her to cancer three years ago.  I'm not sure I'll ever get over her loss.   I told someone that I had owned three dogs as an adult.  The first one was a pet.  The second one, a Miniature Schnauzer named Louie, was a family member.  But Millie was a true friend.  I got her after my divorce and she saw me through some rough times.  She also saw me through some really good ones.

I remarried and my second husband had talked me out of getting a new pet until we retired, which won't be for a couple more years.  So, as an elementary school teacher, I relied on my students to fill that nurturing void.  Their hugs, laughter, and heart-felt discussions have really made being "pet-free" fairly painless; however, the Coronavirus has changed all that now.   In mid-March, the school systems turned to digital learning.  I no longer had that personal time with my students.   

With sheltering in place, I only left my home one time each week to do grocery shopping and pick up prescriptions.  My husband's job is considered "essential", so he is still going to work.  Unfortunately, he has been so busy that he is working 13 days before having a day off.   That has been going on for over two months now.  It makes for a lonely house.

The end of March, he asked what I wanted for my upcoming birthday and anniversary.   I told him he could kill two birds with one stone and get me a pet.   It was our 10 Year Anniversary, so it's a big one!   Reluctantly, he gave in.

No comments:

Post a Comment