Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Chapter 2 - Preparing for the Big Day

Chapter 2 - Preparation for the Big Day aka Where Did All That Money Go?

I have never owned an eight week old puppy before.  Louie was 14 weeks old when he came to live with me; Millie was 16 weeks old when I got her. 

The first thing I want to tell my readers ... if you've never owned an eight week old puppy, you have no idea what it's like to own an eight week old puppy!

I am a "planner" and an "organizer".   I didn't want to get her here and think, "I wish I had thought to ..."  I started hitting all the discount shops!

I purchased Harleigh a nice "orthopedic" pet bed shaped like a chair.  It was super soft and comfortable.  ($9.99 Beals Outlet) 
I had already talked to the breeder and had purchased a 13 lb. bag of her food (Royal Canin Small Puppy formula/$25 Pet Supply Plus).   I got a cute little food mat ($5.99/TJ Maxx), and already had the food and water dish set in a pink wire holder!
I bought additional baby gates!  ($49/Wayfair)  I purchased pee pads!  ($15.99 for a box of 120 x 3/Sam's Club) Since I read that small puppies liked to pull their pads around, play with them, and shred them, I figured I would just make it that more difficult by putting them in this amazing pad holder! ($24.99/Amazon)
I had toys but also purchased new ones ($20/Petsmart), especially chew toys ($15/TJ Maxx).  I had a crate (from previous pets) but it needed a new mat ($12.99/TJ Maxx).  Please notice how I used foam shelf lining ($5.99/TJ Maxx) to protect the bottom so she couldn't hurt herself on the metal cage floor.  I even crocheted the lining onto the metal cage so she couldn't pull it up and chew on it.  That took hours!
I bought a car carrier to transport her.  ($14.99/Tuesday Morning)  I got her a cute little collar ($5.99/Tuesday Morning) for the leather lead I already owned.   

Have you been tallying my total?  I had spent almost $250 already just on supplies!  I can't imagine the total if I had to purchase a new crate!  I was smart enough to keep a lot of things from my previous pups!

Before Harleigh's arrival I had scrubbed our tile floors with a pet-friendly cleaner.  (It's called "Whip It" - do yourself a favor and get yourself some.  It's awesome.  It is non-toxic, eco-friendly, 100% natural, made in America.  And it is an amazing cleaner!)  

No comments:

Post a Comment