Thursday, June 4, 2020

Chapter 3 - Picking Out The Puppy

Chapter 3 - Picking Out the Puppy

On May 26, one day shy of eight weeks from her birth, my husband and I got in the car, programmed the navigation system and set out on our adventure.  

I couldn't believe my eyes when we got there and walked in.  Nothing could've prepared me for what I experienced.   I had been on this breeder's website many times, looking at pictures of puppies and reading all about the breed.  All I can say is that whoever created her website earned their money in spades!   What I saw on the website was nothing like how these puppies were being raised.  (NOTE:  Just because you find a puppy on the AKC website, doesn't mean you may be dealing with the most reputable breeder.  DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!)

There were cages with multiple puppies in each cage.   She apparently had three dames with simultaneous litters.  The older puppies were running all over the place, defecating and urinating wherever they chose.  The father and mother were running in and out of the house.   Through the doorway, you could see that the vinyl in the half bath was destroyed.  It didn't seem like the breeder had control of the situation.

All the information I had read about getting a puppy directs buyers to always visit the breeder's home before purchasing a puppy, but the Coronavirus precautions had eliminated that opportunity.  I don't think I would've purchased my puppy from this breeder had I seen firsthand the conditions up front.

The breeder had told me on the phone that she had started paper training.  I saw no evidence of that.  One puppy peed on the rug and then a second.  "They like peeing on the rug!" was her only response.   Red Flag #1.

One puppy defecated right in front of me.  "I'll have to clean that up!"  It sat there my entire visit, and was still there when I left with my puppy.  Red Flag #2.

I showed the breeder the photos of my preparation.  "I'd take all of those nice things and put them away for awhile.  She'll ruin it all.  They mess in their cages and then walk in it."  Red Flag #3.

I looked over the contract with the breeder before payment.  The contract specifically states, "No flea control products before six months of age."  I asked about that and was told by the breeder, "I've already given them a little bit of time outside, so I administered a small dose of flea medicine this morning after I gave her a bath."  Red Flag #4.  

Thinking back, I should've accepted the loss of the deposit and ran out of there like my hair was on fire.  Being a teacher, I have eight weeks off in the summer to complete training of my puppy.  If I didn't take this puppy, I would probably go on a waitlist with another breeder and may not get a puppy this summer, which means I would have to wait until next summer.  

My husband said as we were driving home, "Why do I feel like we just rescued that puppy?"  I figured most of the problems I just noted were related to the breeder's environment and that would change when she came home.  I knew there would be some retraining and "correcting" but I thought I had the stamina for it.

To my readers.  You need to keep control of this situation.

1.  The first and most important rule is "Do Your Research".   Choose your puppy based on breed information.  What can you provide the puppy in relation to time, financial resources, environment.  Which breed personality fits your lifestyle?  Do you have children?  Other pets?  Don't get side-tracked by those beautiful puppy eyes.  

2.  Remember that you are the customer and you are in charge.  Don't be bullied by a seller.  Some breeders are like Used Car Salesmen.   "There is someone else looking at this puppy and I have a waitlist, so if you don't get her, I'll have her sold by this afternoon."

3.  Do not commit to buying a puppy before visiting the kennel.  This is the most difficult and one rule where you may not be able to follow it.  When I got Millie, I flew to Orlando and picked her up.  I bought her from a photo online.  Many new puppy owners do this.  Some have them shipped to them.   I can't imagine doing that, but it isn't uncommon.  

4.  If the breeder isn't forthcoming with information, walk away.  There are many other puppies out there.  You're making a big investment in time and money.  Make it count.  Ask for photos of the puppies development if you can't visit.  Ask for pictures of parents - CURRENT PICTURES.  Ask for videos.  With electronic media what it is today, a good breeder should accommodate these requests without hesitation.  Mine did not.  I dismissed this as a mother having to deal with homeschooling during a pandemic.  

5.  Make sure you and the breeder have a firm understanding of the transaction.  What is going to be done on their end?  What do you get when you pick up your puppy?  What support will the breeder provide after you get the puppy home.  Have it all in writing.  You should have a binding contract.  

6.  "Trust your gut."  If something doesn't feel right, it's probably best to walk away.






No comments:

Post a Comment